Caren Ulrich Stacy
Caren Ulrich Stacy
Caren Ulrich Stacy has more than 20 years of experience in recruitment, development, and diversity with law firms across the country, including Arnold & Porter, Weil Gotshal, McGuireWoods, and Cooley.
She is the CEO of Diversity Lab, which creates and tests innovative talent management and diversity initiatives. The Lab’s hallmark project – the OnRamp Fellowship – has helped boost diversity in law firms as the first re-entry program ever launched in the legal profession for women lawyers. The Fellowship is also now expanding into legal departments and financial services firms. Other current projects include:
- TakeALittleAction.com – Highlighting individuals and initiatives that advance women in law, tech, science, finance, and other industries to encourage support of their efforts. (The video and website were honored with the Catalyst #DisruptTheDefault Award in 2015)
- Culture Analysis – Facilitating the first empirical study with law firms, legal departments, and financial services firms to better understand the organizations’ overall cultures as well as the micro-cultures that exist in each practice group/division.
- Women in Law Hackathon – Launching the first hackathon — a Shark Tank style pitch competition — aimed at generating innovative ideas that retain and advance women in law firms in collaboration with Stanford Law School and Bloomberg Law.
- The Judicial Diversity Initiative – Providing diverse lawyers with details on how to apply for state judgeships and a listing of current openings across the U.S.
- WomenLegalExperts.com – Promoting successful women lawyers across the country who have been identified as experts in their field by Chambers and BTI. (Launching early 2018)
- TopLawyerCoaches.com – Highlighting top career coaches who are helping to advance the careers of diverse lawyers.
Prior to launching the Lab, Caren was the head of legal talent for top law firms for 20 years. She also pioneered a data-driven “Moneyball” approach to legal talent management through Lawyer Metrics, a start-up company she co-founded and led as President. Lawyer Metrics was bought by the Access Group.
Honors & Awards
National Association of Legal Career Professionals (NALP) Mark of Distinction Award, 2009
Elected as a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management, 2010
Appointed to the Colorado Supreme Court Chief Justice’s Commission on Improving the Legal Profession, 2013
College of Law Practice Management InnovAction Award, 2014
Ms. JD Strength in Numbers Award, 2015
Catalyst #DisruptTheDefault Award, 2015*
American Bar Association (ABA) Golden Hammer Award for Diversity, 2016
Selected from 500 entrepreneurs as a Tory Burch Foundation Fellow, 2016
Woman of Achievement Award, Legal Momentum — The Women’s Legal Defense and Education Fund, 2017
*Caren and Steve Gluckman won the 2015 Catalyst #DisruptTheDefault Award for their www.TakeALittleAction.com video and website.
Caren serves on the Board of Advisors for DirectWomen, a national non-profit organization that is increasing the representation of women lawyers on corporate boards. Caren also serves as the Vice President of Partnerships and Policy for the United States National Committee for UN Women, San Francisco.
Over the past two decades, she has contributed to over 250 presentations and publications on legal talent management and authored several highly regarded books, including Loyalty by Design: A Practical Guide for Developing an Effective Attorney Integration Program.
Select Published Books & Articles
- Foreword Author, “The Articulate Attorney” By Brian Johnson and Marsha Hunter (Crown King Books, June 2013)
- Contributing Author & Editor, “The Six-Minute Marathon: A Guide to Life as a Lawyer” By Judge Andy Hartman (NITA, June 2010)
- Contributing Author, “Partners in Transition: The Five Phases of an Effective Partner Integration Program” (NALP Foundation, January 2010)
- Contributing Author, “How Associate Evaluations Measure Up: Identifying Effective Evaluations Criteria” (NALP Foundation, June 2006)
- Co-author, “Loyalty By Design: A Practical Guide For Developing an Effective Associate Integration Program” (NALP Foundation, July 2005)
- Contributing Author, “Best Practices in Attorney Professional Development – Conducting an Effective Needs Assessment” (American Bar Association, October 2004)
- NALP Bulletin, “Keeping the Keepers: Focusing on Lateral Associate Hires” (January 2014)
- Law Practice Management, American Bar Association, “Solving the Multimillion-Dollar C Player Problem” (May 2013)
- NALP Bulletin, “Behavioral Interviewing 2.0: Using Structured Panel Interviews to Identify High Performers and Eliminate Bias in Lawyer Interviewing” (February 2012)
- Bloomberg Law, “Everything You Think You Know About Lawyer Recruiting Is Wrong: The New Science of Evidence-Based Hiring Practices” (November 2011)
- The American Lawyer and Law.com, “Moneyball for Law Firms” (October 2011)
- West LegalEdcenter Newsletter, “Emerging Trends in Lawyer Development & Advancement” (December 2009)
- NALP Bulletin, “Moving From Lockstep to a Merit-Based Competency System” (September 2009)
Full List of Publications, Leadership Activities & Speaking Engagements Updated 1-19-16